Scholarship: Self-funding or scholarships
Nationality: International Students
Application deadlines: Open
The group consists of graduate and undergraduate students working on a variety of exciting projects including large-scale blood flow modelling, clot mechanics, parallel computing with CPUs and GPUs, design and optimization, and physics-guided deep learning.
The group has access to excellent high performance computing facilities at both NIU and Argonne National Laboratory (ANL) through close collaborations. Dr Tan is also a visiting professor at ANL. In the past, several students from the group have worked as summer interns at ANL. Alumni of the group have successfully obtained positions at Boeing, SIEMENS, Navistar, United Imaging Healthcare.
NIU is located in Dekalb, IL, approximately 75 minutes from Chicago. Chicago is a city of boundless energy, diverse culture and iconic architecture. It has beautiful lakefront views, delicious food, multiple sports teams and a vibrant music scene. The nearby city of Naperville is the fourth most livable city in the United States, with a large Chinese population and many job opportunities.
- Mechanical Engineering
- -A Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related field is preferred. However, students with a Bachelor’s degree are also encouraged to apply.
- -Strong background in solid/fluid mechanics and mathematics.
- -Excellent programming skills (e.g. Matlab, Python, C/C++).
- -Interest in computational mechanics, computational fluid dynamics, machine learning and biomedical engineering.
- -Strong written and oral communication skills.
- -Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a research team.
Interested candidates should contact Dr. Tan at [email protected] with the following materials and then submit the application through https://www.niu.edu/grad/admissions/apply-now.shtml